Версия для слабовидящих transparent_line
Stolin district
executive committee
(
fotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_imagefotogallery_image
Belorussia_map
)
Menu
h_line_delimetr
History

The Stolin district is formed on 15th January, 1940. It is situated in the southeast of Brest region and belongs to the most south districts of Brestchina. In the south the district shares its borders with Luninets district, in the west - with Pinsk district of Brest region, in the east - with Zhitkovichi district of Gomel region. In the south our neighbours are Zarechnenskiy, Dubrovitskiy and Rokitnovskiy districts of Rovno region of the Ukraine. The south border of the district coincides with a state border of the Republic of Belarus.

Scientist-archaeologists dispose facts according to which the territory of the district was inhabited already in 5 – 3 thousand years B.C. The first records about the town are dated by the year 1555.

About origin of the town’s name "Stolin” several legends exist. Here are some of them:

"At one time, on place of the city location a big lake supposedly existed. In this lake were fished out once day 100 (Russian – sto) tenches (Russian – lin). From here the town name - "Stolin" has gone.

"Along the river Goryn 7 small towns were situated, in which 12 brothers reigned. Their meeting place (sittings, meetings) was a table (Russian "stol"), at which gathered brothers - princes, i.e the table was found on a place of the modern Stolin, from this the town name – "Stolin" has gone.

"The place of the ancient town was founded on a left coast of the river Kopanets, on the territory of the modern bakery. In translation from ancient Indian language this word denotes an eminence, a banked earth. But since the ancient town was situated on a high steep riverside, that a high river coast could determine also the origin of town’s name ".

In 12-13th centuries the town and territory of the modern district was a part of Pinskiy, Turovskiy and Dubrovitskiy principalities, which in the middle of 14th century have gone to the structure of the Great Lithuanian Principality.

1448 – the first documentary record about the village Gorodnaya.
1452 – the first documentary record about the village Remel.
1503 – the first documentary record about the villages Osovaya, Duboy, Stakhovo, Plotnitsa, Vidibor.
1508 – the first documentary record about the village Berezhnoe.
In 1527 - Crimean Tatars burnt the village Gorodnaya, but a part of its inhabitants have been forced.
In 1551 the Polish king Zhigimont the II-nd presented to Nikolay Radzivill the town David-Gorodok together with several villages.  The 400-year government of the magnate family Radzivilly on considerable part of the Stolin district began.

In 1648 - 1649 Stolinshchina became an arena of a hard fight between Ukrainian cossacks, joined to them rebels from a number of local peasants, petty bourgeois and small Polish gentry and troops of the Great Lithuanian Principality. At September, 1655 during the war between Russia and Rzecz Pospolita in 1654 – 1667 years David-Gorodok and Stolin were occupied and burnt during a raid of the Russian detachment under command of the prince Dmitriy Volkonskiy.

In 1792 - 1793 years Stolin became the centre of Zapinskiy powiat of Brest woewodship. In 1793 after the second partition of Rzecz Pospolita Stolinshchina was included in structure of the Russian empire. At April, 1883 a construction of the railway part Luninets - Rovno began on the territory of district. In 1885 the princess Maria Radzivill laid the foundation of a landscape park in d. Mankovichi.

The Soviet power was established in the district at November, 1917 and existed until February, 1918. Then the German marched into the town. The authority changed several times until April, 18th, 1921. According to the Rizhskiy peace treaty the land gone to Pole for 18 years. On 6th, December, 1922 the Stolin powiat was created. In September, 1939 the district became a part of the BSSR. There are in that time 4 lumber mills, 2 brick factories and also a furniture factory in the district. Right away, 10 collective farms were formed here.

A peace life of the district was interrupted in 1941. The fascist occupation lasted since July, 6th, 1941 till July, 9th, 1944, when the district from invaders was released. 

On 8th, January, 1954 the Stolin and David-Gorodokskiy districts were included in the structure of Brest region after abolishment of the Pinsk district.

 
Banner
Contact
Stolin district
executive committee
225510, Stolin, Sovietskaya str., 69,
e-mail: stolinrik@brest.by
h_line_delimetr
Banner
Banner
Stolin district
executive committee
225510, Stolin, Sovietskaya str., 69,
e-mail: stolinrik@brest.by
Web-site elaboration by
the BRMUE "Centre of Inculcation of Scientific and Technical Researches"
Kamenets Brest Malorita Zhabinka Pruzhany Kobrin Bereza Drogichin Ivatsevichi Ivanovo Baranovichi Liahovichi Gantsevichi Pinsk Luninets Stolin